Broadway's Spider-Man to close - Houston weather, traffic, news | FOX 26 | MyFoxHouston

Broadway's Spider-Man to close

Posted: Updated:
Spiderman Spiderman
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

The expensive, popular, and troubled 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark' is reportedly going to close in January.

The $75 million dollar show based on the comic book superhero and featuring music from U2's Bono and The Edge has been falling short of the break-even point for weeks, sources told the Wall Street Journal.

The show will not close until after the holiday season, which usually brings extra dollars to Broadway.

The show opened in June 2011 after the show had to be reworked because of technical problems and a weak storyline. Director Julie Taymor was also fired, leading to a lawsuit by and against the producers. They have been settled but the terms were kept private.

Last week, the show grossed $742,595 out of a potential gross of more than $1.5 million, according to research compiled by the Broadway League. The theater was at roughly 75% capacity.

"Spider-Man" still is among the top shows in attendance figures each week, but it is in the largest theater on Broadway, the Foxwoods. It is the most expensive show in Broadway history.

Six actors have been injured at various times.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
  • Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:57:17 GMT
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
Powered by WorldNow

KRIV FOX 26
4261 Southwest Freeway
Houston, TX 77027

Phone: (713) 479-2801
Fax: (713) 479-2859

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices