Teens' 'Knockout Game' a growing danger with deadly results - FOX 26 News | MyFoxHouston

Teens' 'Knockout Game' a growing danger with deadly results

Posted: Updated:
By FOX NEWS -

A recent string of attacks tied to a dangerous game called “Knockout” -- where unsuspecting residents are targeted and sucker-punched – is being investigated as possible hate crimes.

New York police are looking into the growing trend after attacks in predominately Jewish neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

The most recent attack was caught on video in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, where a group of ten men spotted a man walking alone, punched him and kept moving, according to the station.

But New York is not the only place to see the “Knockout Game” being played out.

In Washington, D.C., Tamera Jackson, 27, told WJLA that a group of teens on bicycles came up behind her last week as she walked home and one of them punched her in the back of the head before the group sped away, laughing.

“For the fun of it.”- Teen, speaking of 'Knockout Game'

Similar attacks have occurred in St. Louis and Pittsburgh, where a teacher was knocked out by a 15-year-old as he walked home from school last month. The attack was caught on a security camera video, and the teen was charged with assault.

And in New Jersey, video footage showed Ralph Santiago, 46, randomly targeted for knockout by a group of teens. Santiago was later found dead with his neck broken and head lodged between iron fence posts, according to NJ.com.

Video shows Santiago walking during daytime in an alley, and just as he’s about to pass a pack of teenagers, one launches the fatal, knockout blow.

And what’s the point?

“For the fun of it,” one teen said in the video.

In September, a 13-year-old boy was sentenced to 18 months of confinement for the beating death of a 51-year-old man in upstate New York.

The teen had pleaded guilty to assault and attempted assault, admitting that he started the fatal beating by attempting to knock the man out with a single punch.

The teen said he and his friends were playing a street game called "knockout." His punch apparently had little to no effect, but the follow-up from a 16-year-old boy caused bleeding in the victim's brain, and he died in late May.

The 16-year-old co-defendant was found guilty last month in Onondaga County Family Court of second-degree manslaughter and received the same sentence.

A New York state legislator is drafting a new bill to increase the penalty for crimes related to the terrifying and deadly new “Knockout Game” trend. A 25-year sentence is being proposed for teens ages 14 and up who play the game, film it, or stand by and watch.

New York State Assemblyman James Tedisco told Elisabeth Hasselbeck on Fox and Friends, “We can’t let kids use their youth as a way to get out of a serious and very violent series of incidents which are happening and continue to expand.”


Read more at Foxnews.com

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Report: Joan Rivers on slow road to recovery

    Report: Joan Rivers on slow road to recovery

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:08 PM EDT2014-09-02 17:08:01 GMT

    Hollywood icon Joan Rivers, 81, is reportedly on a slow road to recovery after she went into cardiac arrest at a New York City doctor's office. Rivers remains in serious condition at The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, according to her daughter, Melissa Rivers.  Doctors were expected to slowly remove Rivers from a medically-induced coma on Tuesday to asses her brain functionality.

    Hollywood icon Joan Rivers, 81, is reportedly on a slow road to recovery after she went into cardiac arrest at a New York City doctor's office. Rivers remains in serious condition at The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, according to her daughter, Melissa Rivers. Doctors were expected to slowly remove Rivers from a medically-induced coma on Tuesday to asses her brain functionality.

  • Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 12:33 PM EDT2014-09-02 16:33:28 GMT
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.

  • $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:47 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:47:40 GMT
    Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market.
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market. The 5:25 a.m. casino shutdown followed the closure of its hotel on Monday. By mid-September, four of Atlantic City's 12 casinos will have closed, but none will be a costlier failure than Revel.
Powered by WorldNow

KRIV FOX 26
4261 Southwest Freeway
Houston, TX 77027

Phone: (713) 479-2801
Fax: (713) 479-2859

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices