New World Trade Center concourse opens - Houston weather, traffic, news | FOX 26 | MyFoxHouston

New World Trade Center concourse opens

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

This underground hub at the World Trade Center has been closed since 9/11. That changed Thursday morning.

Port Authority officials reopened the West Concourse, a walkway 44 feet below street level, that will triple-link the World Trade Center, the old World Financial Center building -- now called Brookfield Place Pavilion, and the Battery Park Ferry Terminal.

For lower Manhattan commuters it's a welcomed return.

The concourse suffered severely during September 11th. The multimillion-dollar restoration includes an open-air design without columns allowing natural light to flow in.

Developers have secured several retailers to lease space. This will offer shopping and dining options for the tens of thousands of commuters and tourists who will pass through the tunnel daily to see one world trade center.

It is a pathway that bridges the World Trade Center's future with it's gone but not forgotten past.


  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
  • Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:57:17 GMT
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
Powered by WorldNow

KRIV FOX 26
4261 Southwest Freeway
Houston, TX 77027

Phone: (713) 479-2801
Fax: (713) 479-2859

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices