New York Times hacked - Houston weather, traffic, news | FOX 26 | MyFoxHouston

New York Times hacked

Posted: Updated:
(File) (File)
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

The New York Times website was down on Tuesday afternoon and the paper blamed hackers.

"Our initial assessment is that this is most likely the result of a malicious external attack," a New York Times spokesperson said.

The group that calls itself The Syrian Electronic Army claimed responsibility. The hacker group supports Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. The Syrian Electronic Army also claimed it hacked the contact information for Twitter's DNS records.

The paper Tweeted that it was working to fix the issue.

Typing the paper's Internet protocol address -- 170.149.168.130 -- does bring up the homepage, but the article links on the homepage do not work.

The paper set up an alternate site -- http://news.nytco.com -- with a feed of articles.

The Times' chief IT officer also informed employees to stop sending sensitive emails, the paper reported on the alternate domain.

This is the second time that the NYTimes.com site has gone down in August. On the 14th, the site crashed for more than two hours. That was not reported to be from an attack but was blamed on server problems.

A short time after the Times site went down the Wall Street Journal temporarily dropped its pay wall in an apparent effort to poach some customers.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
  • Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:57:17 GMT
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
Powered by WorldNow

KRIV FOX 26
4261 Southwest Freeway
Houston, TX 77027

Phone: (713) 479-2801
Fax: (713) 479-2859

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices