A court order allows LICH to resume services - Houston weather, traffic, news | FOX 26 | MyFoxHouston

A court order allows LICH to resume services

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

A court order was secured Friday night through litigation by Public Advocate and mayoral candidate Bill de Blasio and civic groups to keep Long Island College Hospital open.

de Blasio, the NYS Nurses Association, Concerned Physicians at L.I.C.H., 1199SEIU and other civic groups helped lead the charge to keep the hospital open and the new order puts in place a regime to preserve vital services and prevent further violations of the law until litigation is resolved.

An independent monitor will assure SUNY Downstate and the NYS Health Department compliance.

"SUNY tried to padlock this hospital four weeks ago. We've watched it violate court orders in broad daylight. Now, the court is putting all that to an end. These steps will ensure this community will have continuity of care for the immediate future," said Public Advocate Bill de Blasio. "This is a huge step forward."

The judge's order requires SUNY to immediately restore services in the hospital’s emergency rooms, intensive care unit, radiology, social work and pharmacy departments.

Last month, state health officials approved closing L.I.C.H. over operating costs. de Balsio and the civic groups charge SUNY of unlawfully curtailing medical services, putting staff on leave and obstructing patient care.

SUNY says it’s complying with the court order and remains committed to its patients’ health and safety.

  • Brooklyn NewsBrooklyn NewsMore>>

  • Whitewashed American flags raised at Brooklyn Bridge

    Whitewashed American flags raised at Brooklyn Bridge

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 11:07 AM EDT2014-07-22 15:07:16 GMT
    Police are responding to the Brooklyn Bridge where two whitewashed American flags have been raised. It is not clear who raised the flags or why. The American flags that are normally up at the bridge appear to have been removed. Several officers scaled the bridge and lowered one of the flags at about 11 a.m., reported the Associated Press.
    Police are responding to the Brooklyn Bridge where two whitewashed American flags have been raised. It is not clear who raised the flags or why. The American flags that are normally up at the bridge appear to have been removed. Several officers scaled the bridge and lowered one of the flags at about 11 a.m., reported the Associated Press.
  • Polluted Gowanus Canal doesn't scare away neighborhood development

    Polluted Gowanus Canal doesn't scare away neighborhood development

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 8:57 AM EDT2014-07-22 12:57:02 GMT
    Every day, those who live and work in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn drive and bike and walk across their canal, growing a little more accustomed to but no less disgusted by its scent and appearance. Once the busiest canal in the United States, the Gowanus now bears the distinction as perhaps the most polluted body of water in the nation. No one knows exactly how polluted because few have summoned enough courage to dive into its murky depths to investigate.
    Every day, those who live and work in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn drive and bike and walk across their canal, growing a little more accustomed to but no less disgusted by its scent and appearance. Once the busiest canal in the United States, the Gowanus now bears the distinction as perhaps the most polluted body of water in the nation. No one knows exactly how polluted because few have summoned enough courage to dive into its murky depths to investigate.
  • reBar wedding venue owner gets 10-year sentence

    reBar wedding venue owner gets 10-year sentence

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 6:19 AM EDT2014-07-22 10:19:21 GMT
    The owner of a popular Brooklyn restaurant that closed abruptly and left dozen of couples without a wedding venue has been sentenced to up to 10 years in prison. Jason Stevens pleaded guilty last month to grand larceny and criminal tax fraud charges. He closed his restaurant, reBar, without warning in May.
    The owner of a popular Brooklyn restaurant that closed abruptly and left dozen of couples without a wedding venue has been sentenced to up to 10 years in prison. Jason Stevens pleaded guilty last month to grand larceny and criminal tax fraud charges. He closed his restaurant, reBar, without warning in May.
Powered by WorldNow

KRIV FOX 26
4261 Southwest Freeway
Houston, TX 77027

Phone: (713) 479-2801
Fax: (713) 479-2859

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices