5 hurt in south Ga. restaurant explosion - Houston weather, traffic, news | FOX 26 | MyFoxHouston

5 hurt in south Ga. restaurant explosion

Posted: Updated:

LAKE PARK, Ga. (AP) - Authorities in Lowndes County say a propane explosion at a restaurant left five people injured and caused severe damage to the building.

Witnesses told The Valdosta Times workers installing a new air conditioning unit Saturday smelled gas and shut the propane line off at the building in Lake Park. When the line was turned back on, it exploded and destroyed the building's roof and 1 of its walls.

Fire Chief Richard Guyton says between 80 and 85% of the building's interior was damaged. Four employees and a customer were injured and information on their conditions wasn't immediately available. Witnesses said some of the victims suffered cuts from falling ceiling tiles.

Lake Park is about 15 miles south of Valdosta.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • LocalMore>>

  • Is clean water a Human right

    Is clean water a Human right

  • Toddler dies in an illegal daycare

    Toddler dies in an illegal daycare

    Friday, August 1 2014 8:16 PM EDT2014-08-02 00:16:06 GMT
    Something horrible happened inside the Oaks of Greenview apartment 934.But what? One neighbor who wished to remain anonymous told FOX 26 that she saw something but she wasn't sure just what."I saw the guy sitting on the stairs with the baby and the lady was in the parking lot calling for help.",said the neighbor. She thought maybe the baby was sleeping until an ambulance, police and the mother showed up."She was screaming left me see my baby, let me see my baby. She was on the ground and just...
    Something horrible happened inside the Oaks of Greenview apartment 934.But what? One neighbor who wished to remain anonymous told FOX 26 that she saw something but she wasn't sure just what."I saw the guy sitting on the stairs with the baby and the lady was in the parking lot calling for help.",said the neighbor. She thought maybe the baby was sleeping until an ambulance, police and the mother showed up."She was screaming left me see my baby, let me see my baby. She was on the ground and just...
  • Natural gas leak leads to high rise evacuations

    Natural gas leak leads to high rise evacuations

    Friday, August 1 2014 8:09 PM EDT2014-08-02 00:09:23 GMT
    The all clear has been given by Centerpoint Energy and the Houston Fire Department for residents living at the Houston House Apartments .HFD confirms a natural gas leak happened when construction workers were digging at the 1700 block of Fannin. Within a matter of minutes a very strong odor of gas was present for several blocks. People living in the high rise apartment building were told to get out, because the situation could be potentially dangerous.A Hazmat team was called out as well to a...
    The all clear has been given by Centerpoint Energy and the Houston Fire Department for residents living at the Houston House Apartments .HFD confirms a natural gas leak happened when construction workers were digging at the 1700 block of Fannin. Within a matter of minutes a very strong odor of gas was present for several blocks. People living in the high rise apartment building were told to get out, because the situation could be potentially dangerous.A Hazmat team was called out as well to a...
Powered by WorldNow

KRIV FOX 26
4261 Southwest Freeway
Houston, TX 77027

Phone: (713) 479-2801
Fax: (713) 479-2859

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices