Tiny telescope implant helps Georgia woman see - Houston weather, traffic, news | FOX 26 | MyFoxHouston

Tiny telescope implant helps Georgia woman see

Posted: Updated:
  • Melissa's HealthworksMore>>

How to reduce those food allergies

Monday, July 14 2014 4:28 PM EDT2014-07-14 20:28:55 GMT
    Ask the DoctorAsk the Doctor
    The number of allergies is skyrocketing. Some reports show as many as one-in-five Americans is allergic to something, including different types of food. The important question is: Is there anyway to reduce this obnoxious and potentially life-changing problem?

A surprising health boost

Monday, July 14 2014 2:56 PM EDT2014-07-14 18:56:08 GMT
    Doctors often say your "gut" is the gateway to health. If it's healthy, chances are you are healthy. That's why it's important to know about a condition called "leaky gut" that can cause all kinds of issues.

Eating fish can help prevent a stroke

Monday, July 7 2014 3:00 PM EDT2014-07-07 19:00:50 GMT
    Stroke is the fourth leading cause of death in the U.S. and a leading cause of adult disability, but doctors want you to know that 80 percent of strokes can be prevented! Cardiologist Dr. John Higgins, from U.T. Memorial Hermann and Harris Health, shares some ways to prevent this top killer.

Jackie Carswell suffers for age-related macular degeneration, also known as AMD.

AMD is very common, especially as we get older, like Jackie. It's progressive and gradually blurs and destroys your central vision.

At 76, Carswell, a retired school bus driver from Ellaville, Ga., was a serious bowler, with a high game of 288.

But about two years ago, Carswell had to give up bowling and a lot of other things when woke and saw lights flashing in her right eye. It was her first sign of AMD and it would eventually steal her central vision in both eyes.

"I was a little scared, I'll be honest with you. The first time I've ever really been scared of anything bad in my life.  I was scared," Carswell said.

In November of 2012, Jackie underwent surgery at the Emory Eye Clinic to place the tiny telescope through her right cornea, right behind her iris.

"What the telescope does is gives you an extra three times magnification automatically," said Donna Inkster, an occupational therapist.

"I  really thought it was going to be something big that would show up. I really couldn't visualize anything so small."

Jackie's scar tissue blocks her central vision so she can see the edge of people. She just can't see things like their faces. With the eye telescope, she's had to learn how to use her eyes independently so she uses one eye to walk around and navigate the world, and the other to see things up close.

"It was an awful amount of work, a tremendous amount of work," Carswell said.

Every week for months, Jackie practices with Inkster, who specializes in low vision.

"She's able to read letters down to newsprint size, which is phenomenal.  That's very small," said Inkster.

"It was still trial and error for a while until I learned to - as the  saying goes - to focus.  But it's been very rewarding for me because -- there's just so many things I couldn't do and I can do now," Carswell said.

Jackie recently wrote her first check in years, and went grocery shopping by herself.

"People I know in the store thought I was the happiest grocery shopper they'd ever seen because I would go around just smiling. And the prices were not that good, that I could see," Carswell said.

Because this eye implant requires a major commitment to learn to use it, the Emory Eye Center says it's not for everyone. You're not a candidate if you've had cataract surgery in your affected eye.

It is covered by the Medicare and some insurance providers.A southwest Georgia woman can see again thanks to a tiny, high-tech telescope implanted in her eye.

"It was an awful amount of work, a tremendous amount of work," Carswell said.

It is covered by the Medicare and some insurance providers.

For more information on the eye telescope for end-stagemacular degeneration, go to http://www.eyecenter.emory.edu.

• More Health NewsMore>>

Sandy Springs woman struggles with Alzheimer's diagnosis at 55

Thursday, July 24 2014 8:42 AM EDT2014-07-24 12:42:55 GMT
    The Alzheimer’s Association estimates about 200,000 Americans are living with early-onset Alzheimer’s disease, diagnosed before their 65th birthday.
  • FOX Medical Team

Easy 'fat burning' recipes

Easy 'fat burning' recipes

Thursday, July 24 2014 7:40 AM EDT2014-07-24 11:40:05 GMT
    Here are the recipes from Nancy Waldeck of the Cancer Wellness Center of Piedmont Hospital.
  • FOX Medical Team

5 fat-burning foods you should try

5 fat-burning foods you should try

Wednesday, July 23 2014 12:19 PM EDT2014-07-23 16:19:49 GMT
    Tired of working out with no payoff, or counting calories and still not losing weight? Healthy chef Nancy Waldeck at the Family Wellness Center at Piedmont Atlanta Hospital pulled together five fat-burning foods you need to discover!
Powered by WorldNow

KRIV FOX 26
4261 Southwest Freeway
Houston, TX 77027

Phone: (713) 479-2801
Fax: (713) 479-2859

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices