The parents of two small children injured by an electrical shot have filed a lawsuit against Centerpoint Energy.
The accident happened two Sunday's ago at the family's home in Spring. The children, a 3 year old girl and a 5 year old boy remain in the intensive care unit at Shiners Hospital in Galveston.
They were injured when a broken guywire made contact with an electrical wire while they were playing on a slide in their backyard. Their parents, Christopher and Sara Zarsky, say they reported the broken wire to CenterPoint Energy two weeks before the accident took place.
According to court documents, CenterPoint owns, operates and is responsible for the electrical equipment. It also says both children suffered severe burns and have undergone multiple surgeries, including amputations.
A spokesperson for CenterPoint Energy said she could not comment on pending litigation.
The family's attorney Tony Buzbee spoke to FOX 26:
"People say, ‘ well how could you let your child play around electricity?' Well that wasn't the case," Buzbee said. "This a guywire. The guywire is a support wire. It's not supposed to have electricity. It's not supposed to be a danger. It was reported because it frayed and broke loose and the family wanted it out of their backyard."