Tax tips for filing your 2012 Taxes - FOX 26 News | MyFoxHouston

Common tax mistakes

Posted: Updated:
  • Every year, the IRS receives millions of returns with misspelled names and incorrect Social Security Numbers (SSN), particularly those of dependents.When processing your return, the IRS verifies names and SSNs on your return with the Social Security Administration's database.   If the information doesn't match, the IRS will notify you. Although the errors are easy to correct, they could delay refundable credits for parents and college students, and refunds for the Earned Income Tax Credit.
  • Report all your income. The IRS can easily check how much income you received based on your SSN and 1099 forms financial institutions are required to submit.If unreported income is discovered after the filing deadline, you could owe penalties and interest on the earnings.
  • Because filing status determines many amounts on tax returns, the IRS has strict qualifying criteria for each of the five filing statuses. If you don't meet all the requirements for the filing status claimed on your return, the IRS could reject your return.
  • If you qualify for more than one status, claim the one resulting in the bigger refund or less tax owed. See IRS Publication 501, Exemptions, Standard Deduction and Filing Information, for detailed information about filing statuses. Tax preparation programs simplify it all by guiding you through your options and helping you choose.
  • Whether you're receiving a refund or owe taxes, double check the routing and account numbers on your return.  One incorrect number can mean several extra weeks of waiting for your refund, someone else receiving your refund, or your refund being sent back to the IRS.
  • With hundreds of deductions and credits available for the taking, it's easy to miss one. The onus is on you as the taxpayer, not the IRS, to claim all the tax breaks you qualify forFinally, file your tax return and pay any taxes owed by the April 15 deadline.
  • If you need more time to file your return, file Form 4868 for an automatic six-month filing extension. However, keep in mind you're still obligated to pay any taxes owed by April 15. Pay late and you'll incur penalties and interest fees.

"Tax tips provided by TaxACT Free Federal Edition.  To learn more about TaxACT and start your free federal return, visit"

Powered by WorldNow

4261 Southwest Freeway
Houston, TX 77027

Phone: (713) 479-2801
Fax: (713) 479-2859

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices