1. Choose the adoption option. If you are thinking of adding a new family member to your household in 2013, please visit the Houston SPCA and choose the adoption option. Animal shelters have adorable puppies, kittens and purebreds just waiting for loving new homes. At the Houston SPCA each adoption packages include a health evaluation, deworming, spaying/neutering, age appropriate vaccinations, heartworm testing, microchipping with lifetime registration a free wellness exam at a VCA Animal Hospital, and an adoption gift from Hills Science Diet.
2. Commit to More Exercise: An easy way to bump up physical activity is to commit to daily dog walks or increased active play time using a laser pointer, feather toy or catnip ball with your cat. The Pet Obesity Prevention organization's fifth annual survey found 53 percent of adult dogs and 55 percent of cats are overweight or obese by their veterinarian. This resolution will benefit both you and your pet. Resolve to give your pet at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise daily.
3. Resolve Not to Skip Annual Veterinary Exams. Annual veterinary exams contribute to the overall health and wellness of your pet. An annual checkup will save you money in the long run by making it possible to identify potential health conditions early on. And work with your veterinarian to make sure that your pet's appropriate vaccinations are up to date.
4. Update Identification Information. Make sure that your pet is wearing an ID tag with up to date information. If your pet is not microchipped, get that done as soon as possible. And if they are microchipped, contact the registry to make sure they have your latest contact information. Tags and chips are only as good as the information on them.
5. Help Animals in Need: Volunteer or donate to your local animal shelter. There are many ways to make a difference in your community and that includes giving your time helping animals in the shelter, fostering a pet who needs a little extra TLC, donating money or giving items like pet food, bleach, toys and other wish list items to the shelter. Visit www.houstonspca.org for more information.
The Houston SPCA Negotiates A "Feline Cliff Deal" January 4-6
All Cats Six Months and older are $5*
(HOUSTON – January 3, 2013) – We can all breathe a sigh of relief now that we know we are not going to fall off the fiscal cliff and just like cats, we landed on our feet. To celebrate, the Houston SPCA is offering a "Feline Cliff Deal," where all cats six months of age and older are just $5 from January 4th through the 6th (*some restrictions apply).
Each feline adoption package, valued at over $400, includes the following:
- A health evaluation, age-appropriate vaccinations and rabies vaccinations for felines three months and older
- Spay / neuter surgery
- Micro chipping with free lifetime registration
- A complimentary overall wellness examination provided by a VCA Animal Hospital
- One adoption gift courtesy of Hill's Science Diet
Your new furry friend won't lower your taxes or the debt ceiling, but he/she will provide a lifetime of love. The Houston SPCA, 900 Portway Drive, is the ONLY shelter in the metropolitan area that is open seven days a week with convenient weekend and evening hours to make choosing the adoption option easy! Visit Monday through Friday from 11 am to 7 pm and Saturday or Sunday from 10 am to 6 pm and fall in love today!
*Includes cats six months of age and older only; limit two per household.