Governor to sue NCAA over Penn state sanctions - FOX 26 News | MyFoxHouston

Governor to sue NCAA over Penn state sanctions

Posted: Updated:

PETER JACKSON, Associated Press

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Gov. Tom Corbett said Tuesday he plans to sue the NCAA in federal court over sanctions imposed against Penn State in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky child sexual abuse scandal.

The Republican governor scheduled a news conference for Wednesday on Penn State's campus in State College to announce the filing in U.S. District Court in Harrisburg.

The sanctions, agreed to by the university in July, included a $60 million fine that would be used nationally to finance child abuse prevention grants. State and federal lawmakers have raised objections to the money being spent outside Pennsylvania.

Email and phone messages seeking comment from the NCAA on the expected lawsuit weren't immediately returned Tuesday.

Last month, a Pennsylvania congressman said he was unhappy with how the NCAA responded to a request from the state's U.S. House delegation that the whole $60 million be distributed to causes within the state.

NCAA president Mark Emmert had said in a Dec. 12 letter that a task force had been charged with allocating at least 25 percent of the fine money to programs in Pennsylvania.

Republican Rep. Charlie Dent said days later in a statement that Emmert's response was "unacceptable and unsatisfactory."

The NCAA said then that it stood by what Emmert had said.

The fine was just part of college sports' governing body's sanctions on Penn State for its handling of the abuse scandal involving Sandusky, a former assistant under head football coach Joe Paterno. The landmark sanctions also included a four-year ban from postseason play and significant scholarship cuts for the university's marquee football program, which avoided being suspended, the so-called death penalty.

Sandusky, a former defensive coordinator, was convicted in June on charges he sexually abused 10 boys, some on campus. The 68-year-old was sentenced to 30 to 60 years in state prison.

Eight young men testified against him, describing a range of abuse they said went from grooming and manipulation to fondling, oral sex and anal rape when they were boys.

Sandusky didn't testify at his trial but has maintained his innocence, acknowledging he showered with boys but insisting he never molested them.

  • Sports NewsSports NewsMore>>

  • Serena Williams top seed at U.S. Open

    Serena Williams top seed at U.S. Open

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 2:55 PM EDT2014-08-20 18:55:24 GMT
    No surprise here: defending U.S. Open champion Serena Williams is the top seed at Flushing Meadows this year, the USTA announced. Williams is ranked No. 1 in the world right now. She has won the U.S. Open women's singles title five times, including the last two.
    No surprise here: defending U.S. Open champion Serena Williams is the top seed at Flushing Meadows this year, the USTA announced. Williams is ranked No. 1 in the world right now. She has won the U.S. Open women's singles title five times, including the last two.
  • New York Islanders to be sold

    New York Islanders to be sold

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 2:54 PM EDT2014-08-19 18:54:30 GMT
    The New York Islanders have announced that the team is being sold to a former Washington Capitals co-owner and a London-based investor. In a statement Tuesday, the team says a group led by former Capitals co-owner Jon Ledecky and investor Scott Malkin has reached an agreement to buy a "substantial" minority interest in the team.
    The New York Islanders have announced that the team is being sold to a former Washington Capitals co-owner and a London-based investor. In a statement Tuesday, the team says a group led by former Capitals co-owner Jon Ledecky and investor Scott Malkin has reached an agreement to buy a "substantial" minority interest in the team.
  • Security beefed up at Yankee Stadium

    Security beefed up at Yankee Stadium

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 8:24 AM EDT2014-08-19 12:24:30 GMT
    Security is being beefed up at Yankee Stadium this week. It is all part of Major League Baseball's safety plan. Ticketholders going to Tuesday night's game against the Houston Astros will notice metal detectors in place at some of the gates. They'll be asked to remove cellphones and large metal objects from their pockets before walking through them.
    Security is being beefed up at Yankee Stadium this week. It is all part of Major League Baseball's safety plan. Ticketholders going to Tuesday night's game against the Houston Astros will notice metal detectors in place at some of the gates. They'll be asked to remove cellphones and large metal objects from their pockets before walking through them.
Powered by WorldNow

KRIV FOX 26
4261 Southwest Freeway
Houston, TX 77027

Phone: (713) 479-2801
Fax: (713) 479-2859

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices