Here in Houston, we were pleasantly surprised at how well our cell phones operated after Hurricane Ike hit in 2008. The towers and generators worked, and we could stay connected with loved ones if we had a charged battery.
Well, our phones may have become smarter, but they still need power. Here is a product that could help you stay connected in an emergency even if your cell battery is dead.
This phone can sit on a shelf for 15 years and still provide 10 hours of talk time when you flip it on. It easily works with the SIM card in your cell phone, and SpareOne is the world's only cell phone powered by a single AA battery (included). Here are the features they claim:
• Powered by any single AA battery, SpareOne provides up to 15 years of battery life when stored unused (off, with plastic tab inserted) or 10 hours of talk time when in use
• TorchLight on top provides 24 hours of continuous light
• Dedicated 911 dial button alerts authorities (even without a SIM Card); also pre-sets 9 speed dial numbers
• Talk-through, re-sealable waterproof bags feature humidity-proof seal and Velcro
• Bags operate in extreme temperatures of -22F to 140F, far greater than that of a smartphone
• Bags protect against water submersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter, float, and have room to accommodate a few small items (i.e. credit cards, ID and band aids)
And obviously it doesn't have to be a hurricane; it can help you in many types of emergencies. This could be a great addition to your hurricane preparedness items during this off-season.