Shamearya Lane is a happy, confident and resilient six-year-old. You'd never guess what she's been through.
"I didn't have fun at all," Lane said. "It was bad and then my momma called my name from Heaven."
You see, Shamearya's mom has long been dead. She said she heard her mother in Heaven calling her name after she was shocked back in June.
Her family says she was playing with her cousin, waiting on the swimming pool to open outside a relative's apartment unit. That was at Meridian Apartments in northwest Houston.
According to a lawsuit, the first grader was injured in the courtyard when she touched an air conditioning unit where the wire was exposed.
The jolt was so powerful, the young girl was stuck, her attorney, Waverly Nolley, said.
"She was actually attached to the unit for at least four and a half to five minutes in addition to her cousin until a Good Samaritan muscled them off the unit," Nolley said.
As a result of that contact, Shamearya has lost 50 percent of one finger, 30 percent of another and substantial damage to a third. There's also a deep gash in the palm of her hand.
Nolley is suing the complex on behalf of the six-year-old.
"This, in my opinion, is obvious negligence and we simply want to make certain this child is made as whole and no other child is harmed by this negligent condition," he said.
Shamerya is now going through physical therapy to learn how to write with her left hand.
But her aunt, Georgia Lewis, who's raising her niece, said it's going to be tough on the child in school with the disfigured hand. After all children will be children.
"And to see her poor little fingers just gone and to know what she's going to have to deal with her peer pressure in school is really kind of hard."
In the meantime, if you just sit with Shamearya and here her talk you'd never think she had a care in the world - until you look down at that right hand.
We were not able to reach management or the owners of Meridian apartments for a comment.