Fox26Law: Wrongful Child Support Order - FOX 26 News | MyFoxHouston

Fox26Law: Wrongful Child Support Order


It's time for some Fox26Law. Our legal analyst, Chris Tritico, is here to answer your questions. Watch Chris every Tuesday and Thursday morning on FOX 26 Morning News in the 7 a.m. hour.

QUESTION FROM DEBORAH: My husband cleared a child support claim in 1997 and DHS came after him for 47,000.00, but Aug. 6,2010, they agreed it was done and they'd refund his 528.00 taken from his disability (congestive heart failure) and garnished wages in 2006 would be returned.He showed that his ex was committing judicial fraud in 97 and he overpaid,but it was never reimbursed. Now, TX. doesn't want to return any of his money and I think its wrong as he needs it for Dr. fees an medicines. What is your suggestion on this matter. Thank you Deborah

CHRIS TRITICO'S ANSWER: As I understand it your husband had a garnishment order entered against him for a child support debt that he had previously paid in full. You now seed a return of the funds that were wrongfully garnished from his account. You do not have a claim against the State of Texas. You have a claim against the former spouse who obtained the wrongful garnishment order. While she probably has not money left, she is the proper defendant in this matter. The court that signed the garnishment order acted in good faith that the representations made were true and correct. The State simply has no liability here.

File suit against the former spouse you should get a judgment for the actual damages and attorneys fee's. That's the easy part collecting the judgment is the hard part.

Good luck,

>> You can ask your questions and learn more about Fox26Law by clicking here

Disclaimer: Fox26Law is intended for general information purposes only and is not and not to be considered legal advice. Fox26Law is not intended to interfere with or replace an existing attorney client relationship. You are encouraged to seek the assistance of the lawyer of your choice for private consultation on specific legal issues.

Powered by WorldNow

4261 Southwest Freeway
Houston, TX 77027

Phone: (713) 479-2801
Fax: (713) 479-2859

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices